Tamaki Māori Village’s Hangi Dinner and Performance has been voted the seventh best experience in the world in the inaugural TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice awards for experiences.
The Rotorua attraction was one of 345 experiences, tours, and activities from around the world that were ranked by TripAdvisor reviews, opinions and popularity with travellers over the past year.
Tamaki Māori Village was founded by brothers Mike and Doug Tamaki and offers customers a 3.5 hour evening cultural experience for $117 per adult.
It was the only New Zealand experience that made the top 25 list, which was topped by Tuscan cooking class in Florence, followed by a Berlin bike tour and a one-day sightseeing tour of New York. Australia’s Sydney BridgeClimb was ranked fourth.
“Experiences are often the highlight of a trip, and a great way to immerse yourself in the local culture, or even explore your hometown …these awards highlight the best things to do around the world, with something for every type of traveler,” said Laurel Greatrix, director of communications for TripAdvisor.
TripAdvisor’s top 10 experiences in the world:
- Cooking Class and Lunch at a Tuscan Farmhouse with Local Market Tour from Florence – Florence, Italy
- Berlin Bike Tour – Berlin, Germany
- New York in One Day Guided Sightseeing Tour – New York City, New York
- Sydney BridgeClimb – Sydney, Australia
- Vatican VIP Experience: Exclusive Breakfast at the Vatican with Early Access to Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel – Rome, Italy
- New Orleans Cooking Class – New Orleans, Louisiana
- Rotorua Maori Hangi Dinner and Performance – Rotorua, New Zealand
- Best of Niagara Falls Tour from Niagara Falls, Ontario – Niagara Falls, Canada
- Vancouver to Victoria and Butchart Gardens Tour by Bus – Vancouver, Canada
- Wild Wicklow Tour including Glendalough from Dublin – Dublin, Ireland