Our efforts to influence the Government would not be possible without your support. Our strength as an industry remains in our people – people just like you, who are the beating heart of our tourism community. You will carry the DNA of our industry forward and will play a vital role as we recover and rebuild.
Being part of the TIA community means you and your team stay across the critical transformations facing our industry, and that your voice is heard. While our advocacy work often benefits all those in the industry our advocacy priorities and positions are informed by our members.
In the last 12 months, your support contributed to us keeping tourism constantly on the Government’s radar. While the advocacy with Ministers and officials often occurs behind-the-scenes we pushed the key messages, providing a tourism lens on what members need by way of removal of self-isolation requirements, financial support for businesses, visa extensions for migrant workers, and the end of Immigration New Zealand’s oversupply list.
As COVID-19 settings changed during the year, we worked closely with officials to manage the impacts on tourism, including the development of operator guidance material. We represented members on many government-led groups including the Responsible Camping Working Group and the Industry Transformation Plan.
We continued to engage with members through a programme of webinars, regional get-togethers and virtual coffee-catchups, providing advice and information to operators around the country, particularly in support of mental health.
We launched TRENZ Connect, the exciting new digital marketplace for the international travel trade to connect with international market-ready New Zealand tourism operators.
We continued our work on rebuilding a more sustainable industry, launching the Tourism Carbon Challenge. We brought the industry together in a series of events, including TRENZ Hui, Tourism Summit Aotearoa and the New Zealand Tourism Awards.
In 2022, your support for TIA will contribute to making a difference on:
Leading the industry recovery
- Continuing to influence decisions as we welcome back international visitors
- Advocating to alleviate labour shortages across the industry
- Securing investment from the Government as you rebuild your business
- Continuing to provide reliable, up-to-date information and business guidance on COVID-19 developments
- Supporting the wellbeing and mental health of members
Addressing the bigger picture
- Supporting operators in their sustainability journey, providing expertise and information to implement the Tourism Sustainability Commitment
- Driving action on climate change, to achieve a net zero carbon tourism industry in New Zealand before 2050
- Highlighting tourism issues to local government, ahead of council elections in October 2022, particularly around destination management.
- Prepare for the return of international visitors at TRENZ Hui 2022 Online
- Renew old links and make new connections with international trade at TRENZ Connect virtual events, to nurture our international trade connections ahead of the borders reopening
- Tackle industry transformation issues at Tourism Summit Aotearoa in Kirikiriroa Hamilton on 10 November 2022
- There will be plenty for industry to recognise at the New Zealand Tourism Awards in Kirikiriroa Hamilton on 10 November 2022
- Hear about new ideas at Discussing Tourism webinars, and regional member visits scheduled for June, September and December
- And planning is already underway for TRENZ 2023 – your TIA membership entitles you to a significant discount on the costs of attendance.
But wait, there’s more!
Through your MyTIA account you’ll find many resources including Employment Agreement templates that have been prepared by the Lane Neave legal team for the use of TIA members, along with mental health, sustainability and te reo resources.
Being part of the TIA community also entitles you and your staff to a range of special rates and savings including big discounts at nationwide stores such as Noel Leeming, OfficeMax and Torpedo 7, great deals on rental cars and accommodation, and even access to mental health support and resilience training.